THE OLD COUNTRY STORE AND POST OFFICE BUILDING IN AUSTIN COUNTY
717 LOOP 497 S. | KENNEY, TX 77452
The community of Kenney was established in 1880's when the Santa Fe Railroad and Post Office were placed in the community. The community was originally named Thompson after its first Post Master in the community. Later in 1884 renamed to Kenneyville and finally in 1892 officially became Kenney, Texas. In 1987, the current owner Emmitt Knuppel purchased the Old Country Store and was restored in 1995 to its present condition. All electrical was re-wired and new plumbing also was installed at that time. The exterior of the building was wrapped in a new metal and the interior walls were re-studded with 2x4's and new installation was placed within the walls of the building. The Country Store and Post Office remained active from 1880 to 1983. The original Post Office boxes still remain in the Old Country Store.
The combined property sites of the Post Office Building and Country Store consists of (6) lots.
The Country Store building has 6,500 sq. ft. plus 550 sq. ft. of covered porches.
The post office building is 800 sq. ft.
The total property site is 150 ft. front x 100 ft depth
In 1983, the current Post Office moved to its present location that was built as a one room bank building in 1912.
Request More Information
Mark Switzer - Broker, Auctioneer | (979) 885-2400